Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2007

why fans love the cooler BCCI (because it's summer)

5 reasons why I love BCCI after the Communist-style diktats:

(Note: i am your average cricket fan. my qualifications: i can play well. far better than my nephew. he's three and a bit now. i smash the ball harder THAN HIM. put more spin on the ball THAN HIM. i dive around all over the place to stop the plastic ball that comes off his plastic bat. and do all that much better THAN HIM. i can also watch 20 minutes of nonstop cricket, and mandira, on TV without gunning for the remote.)

1. Because the cricketers may just earn less. And why would I love that? I don't know. Don't ask me. I am just a fan. I am plain jealous.

2 Because the players may just stop talking to the media. And why would I love that? Because they anyway hardly ever talk on quote. If at all, they come under a pseudonym: "a senior/junior player", "sources in Team India" and suchlike.

3. Because they just might stop writing columns in newspapers. Those columns never made much sense anyway.

4. Because juniors might get a chance. Why would I want that? Because I am just just a fan. I want new heroes whom I would start character-assassinating in no time flat.

5. Because Greg's 'process' might just go off our newspages. And why would I want that? because my nephew-who's-three-and-a-bit does not understand one bit of it. He thinks cricket is a simple game of bat meeting ball, and going towards the fielder.

The bottom line: none. Just glad that I, your typical Indian cricket fan, would still be able to watch the cricketers in three advertisements. For, they look better in commercials; may the lord save them from the blushes the day state associations decide to prepare greentops for even Ranji matches.

No comments: